I'm Going Golfing


When I was a young man growing up I had the privilege of living in Calgary Alberta.  From April to October I could be found working at the golf course cleaning clubs in the morning and late at night so I could play as much golf as humanly possible in the middle.  Several times in my life I completed  5 rounds in a day when I did not have to work.  It was a possible career, it was my social net, it was the reason I got up in the morning. 
Golf in fact was one of my gods.  But that all changed when I began my journey with Christ.  My time for golf was exchanged for time helping at the church, investing in others’ lives, and a plethora of other activities new to my world.  Instead, golf was still important, but the focus had changed drastically from a game of passion… to a time to be still and know that He is God. 
As I waddle around next week in Wales not much will have changed after 35 years of serving Him.  There is something special about getting outside into the grass and enjoying a walk, with golf as an excuse, while I talk with the Lord about direction and purpose for my life.   I think that golf was allowed by God as the perfect tool for those of us with ADHD.  It is enough of a distraction to our mind to allow us to focus on our relationship with Him as we hike through the rough.   You may not golf, you may just walk.  But I would encourage all of us today, in this world of chaos that we face as we treadmill every day life, to slow down and know that He is God.
Over the next few weeks I plan on golfing several times for a very important reason.  After 14 years of head down service here in Wales it looks as if a transition is in the wind.  Where, we do not know, when… not that either.  What we do know is that the things that we have set out to make happen here now either have solid national traction and our part will become less over the next few years as locals do so much more… or their control has been taken out of our hands.  Just to clarify we have no intension of abandoning the projects that we have started, but will spend more energy handing off and encouraging the next local generation to do so… We do covet the prayers of our friends as we seek how to be effective for Him in the next season of life. 

 A GREAT SUMMER  

Middle Park Camp in Wales has seemed to have hit its stride in regards to development.

http://billhebner.blogspot.ca/p/video-gallery.html
Click for Access to Epic Camp Videos
 
Just over 500 people attended this year’s camp which worked behind the scenes on time, in budget and allowed the teens to have the best week of their lives.  Words cannot express my confidence in  the ‘team’ that now carries the camp.  The solid board of  TENT, the property care of Howell; Nita Hodgett, have all made my life so much easier. 
So what did the camp look like this year… a lot like last year… but better.  More efficient electrics, a new ice cream shop, improved showers and sports field and even a Bungee assisted trampoline.  Yes no one comes to Jesus Christ through a clean hot tub or a carpeted barn...BUT excellence within the means of the camp demonstrates sacrificial love that shines like a treasure in the jar of clay that is our lives…  It was a great summer.  Take a look at some videos and pictures to see where we have gotten to.

 

 2 AFRICA TRIPS FOR 2015 

Two weeks into the online registration form going live and we already have 43 youth signed up to make a difference in South Africa in the spring of 2015.  This teams mission is to build a community school/centre and a nursery in the Zandsprit Township of Johannesburg.  If you have a group of youth or adults that would like to come on one of these adventures please feel free to visit the www.youthmissionproject.org.uk site and sign up…  we would love to journey life with you on this event.  We have designed the trip to support both a Canadian and UK spring break group.

 pictures

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take the long way home..........

There truly is no 'I' in Team.....

Happy new year…! (better late than never)